What is a lip sore?
Lip sores are blisters, ulcers, lesions or bumps that develop on the lips. When you’re having a lip sore, most of the time the surface of the lips might be bleeding and broken, and sometimes they may be scabbed or even crusted. When someone gets this condition, they might experience tenderness or pain in the affected area on the lips. Lip sores can be very irritating when they occur. They are very common and in many cases, they are not caused by serious conditions which means that they do not possess any risk to the health. However, sometimes they can signify the presence of a dangerous condition in the patient.
Symptoms of Sores on Lips
When an individual gets sore lips, other symptoms are bound to occur. These symptoms mostly depend on the condition causing the sores. The symptoms can affect any part of the body. Some of the mouth symptoms the patient will experience include:
- A burning feeling
- Bleeding especially at the affected area
- The presence of mouth corners or sometimes cracked lips
- The mouth might become dry
- A burning feeling
- Some people can experience itchiness
- Swelling, redness and even warmth
- Tenderness is also common.
Apart from these mouth symptoms, lip sores can affect the rest of the body. The patient might experience the following:
- A rash on any part of the body
- Some patients might get dizziness
- Feeling ill all the time
- Body aches
- Bigger lymph nodes
- Stuffy nose and sometimes nasal conditions.
Patients with lip sores can experience some symptoms that might signify a serious condition. When these symptoms occur, the patient should be taken to a doctor immediately for treatment before the condition worsens. It is advisable to seek urgent medication if a patient with lip sores has the following symptoms.
- Difficulties when swallowing food or drinks
- Difficulties when breathing
- High fever that is higher than 101 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pictures of Sores on Lips
Take a look at some of these pictures of sores on lips caused by various reasons such as from stress, sun, chemotherapy, dryness of lips, smoking, braces, biting lips, chewing tobacco.
Causes of Lip Sores
Lip sores have several causes. The severity and type of the lip sore will greatly depend on the reasons for the condition. They are mostly caused by minor traumas like eating very hot food or biting the lip. Diseases can also cause lip sores. They can also be a symptom of a dangerous condition in the body such as infections or cancer.
Here are some of the major causes of sore lips:
- Biting the lips can trigger painful sores.
- Physical irritants can also bring the condition such as poorly fitted dentures, braces and many others.
- Sore cankers.
- Extremely hot beverages and food.
- A lot of stress to the patient can cause sores.
- Cold sores can bring the condition too.
- Some viral infections
- Lack of folate or vitamin B12 in the body.
Although not very common, the following can trigger sore lips.
- Dermatitis, commonly known as skin inflammation.
- Some autoimmune conditions.
- Hemophilia or any bleeding disorder. Hemophilia is a rare and hereditary condition where the patients’ blood cannot clot the normal way.
- A weak immune system.
Serious and life-threatening causes of lip sores
In several cases, the presence of lip sores can signify a serious and life-threatening condition in the body. Here are some of the threatening causes of lip sores.
- Life-threatening infection or even abscess.
To treat lip sores, it is very important to know the cause. If the sores are not caused by injuries on traumas in the lips, it is very critical to visit a qualified medical practitioner to know the cause. Ignoring lip sores can worsen the patient’s condition. The doctor will ask the following questions to get the right diagnosis.
- Is there any medication that you are taking at the moment?
- Have you had the sores in the past?
- Is there any chronic condition that you have?
- Have you had the sores for a long time?
- Have you experienced any kind of trauma such as burning or biting on your lips?
Complications of Sores on Lips
Most of the time, lip sores aren’t serious. However, when the cause of the lip sores is a life-threatening medical condition, the patient can get serious complications if they do not seek medications at the right time. After diagnosis, it is very important for a patient to follow the treatment given to avoid any complications. Here are some of the complications of lip sores.
- In the cause of the lip sore was cancer, it might spread to other parts.
- The infection can quickly spread to other regions of the body.
- Some patients can experience organ failure.
- Skin infections and ulcerations can also occur.
- A lot of pain and discomfort in the entire body.
Home Remedies for Lip sores
- Use of ice – Ice is a very effective treatment for lip sores. The patient should simply run some ice on the affected area for several minutes every hour. This will help with the pain and also treat the lesions.
- Use of tea bags – Tea bags can help cure the blisters too. The person should apply the tea bag to the affected area for a few minutes. They can also press a warm tea bag on the sores.
- Use of Witch Hazel on the lip sore will give the patient a lot of relief.
- The person can apply common salt on the sores using their index figure to help speed the healing.
- Aloe Vera gel is also very effective in giving relief to lip sores.
- Patients can also use a lemon balm to get rid of the symptoms and enhance healing.
Individual with a weak immune system might take longer to recover, and sometimes they can experience severe complications.
It is very important for the patients to avoid over expose to the sun. This can worsen the situation by making the sores more painful. It is advisable to stay indoors to help the sores get heal faster. It is not wise to apply any makeup on the sore. These products will cause more irritation the painful sores and worsen the condition. The patient should also avoid hot and salty food.